This website is currently archived and not updated.

Check our new "Preparing for RIKEN" website.

RIKEN Wako Branch


International researchers who wish to bring their families for a period of more than 90 days will require a “Dependent” visa for their families (spouse and children). Please start the application process together with your visa. The visa application process can take three months or more, and so please allow enough time to ensure that you can bring your family with you to Japan. The RIKEN laboratory that you work with will be able to assist with all the necessary paperwork.

VISA application procedures
  1. RIKEN will apply for the COE (Certificate of Eligibility) in lieu of you.
    It may take about 2 months for it to be granted by the Japanese Immigration Bureau.
  2. RIKEN will send you the original COE as soon as it is granted.
  3. Please apply for the visa to enter Japan at the nearest Japanese embassy or consulate with the COE plus the other required items. For the other required items, please check on the General visa for family stay (MOFA) website.
    It may take about 1 week for it to be granted.

  • The entire visa application process may take 3 months or more including mail delivery.
  • Please keep the original COE and bring it with you to Japan. It is a requirement to show it to the immigration officer when entering Japan, together with the visa in your passport.

Required items for COE (Certificate of Eligibility) application
  • Application for COE
  • A copy of accompanying family’s passport(s) if available
    ※ If it’s not available due to the passport application process, please inform us.
  • Individual photo(s) (4cm x 3cm, taken within the last 3 months to reflect your family member(s) current appearance, full-face view, no hat, taken in front of a plain background)
  • Original document(s) verifying the relationship of each family member (provided within the last 3 months) Ex. Marriage certificate, Birth certificate
    ※ An English or Japanese translation is required if it’s stated in any other foreign language except English.

Related links:


  • To register your family at the designated city hall, official documents are required to verify the relationship of each family member (Ex. Marriage certificate, Birth certificate) with Japanese translations.
  • RIKEN can only arrange the COE for your accompanying family if they come together with you at the same time.